By Anne VanderMey
FORTUNE -- No more drum circles for Occupy Wall Street -- now they're working with actual drummers. On Thursday the newly reinvented and refocused Occupy movement staged an indie rock star-studded benefit in New York City to launch its new debt-buying project, the Rolling Jubilee. By all accounts, the party was great. It's still unclear, though, whether the actual plan to buy and wipe out loans will be as successful.
The idea behind the Rolling Jubilee is simple, and frankly elegant: buy distressed debt for less than the debt's face value – think unpaid loans of people who are late on their medical bills – and then forgive it. As Occupy put it in a promotional video, now with some 80,000 YouTube views: "Instead of collecting on the debt we buy, we're going to abolish it. Poof." Still rankling from the government's 2008 Wall Street rescue, organizers dubbed the effort the "people's bailout."
The group says it has already bought and eliminated $100,000 worth of medical debt. After Thursday night's gala, which also was streamed live online as a telethon, OWS had raised close to $300,000 -- which could hypothetically wipe out $6 million more. "That's a crazy bargain," wrote one supporter in a blog post.
But will it work? The challenges are substantial. Slate's Matt Yglesias raised the question about whether buying old and distressed debt, which might never be paid anyway, is actually better than just directly giving an indebted family money. JMP Securities analyst David Scharf says that even on very old accounts, people who can pay something generally will, but he also says only some 20% accounts will pay anything toward their charged off debt.
Next, there's the question of how the group is actually able to buy the loans. Purchasing directly from the banks is tricky. Most of them sell debt through contracts to established customers. "It's not like someone can just show up and tell Bank of America or Chase that they're about to displace their longstanding relationships," says Scharf. Debt brokers also restrict who they sell to for liability reasons. Even recognized debt buyers sometimes have trouble making deals.
Occupy's strategy so far has been to make friends in the industry. Those friends purchase loans for them (probably from other buyers and not directly from banks), and then erase it. The group won't say who it's working with, and in a statement it referred to its contacts as "moles in the debt-brokerage world." What they will say is that it wasn't that hard to find a sympathetic ear.
"You'd be surprised," says Aaron Smith, one of the Jubilee's organizers. "I certainly was."
Technically, the project is feasible. Still, even if Occupy's moles do manage to buy a lot of distressed debt, the nation's multi-trillion dollar debt burden won't be much affected. And as for the industry, the two largest publicly traded credit purchasers are expected to spend nearly $1 billion in distressed debt per year. A few million from the Rolling Jubilee "doesn't qualify as a rounding error," Scharf says.
MORE: Save the Seaport!
In some key ways, the project doesn't really "work." But that, of course, is missing the point. Organizers say the actual goal is to jumpstart the conversation about debt that originated from predatory lending practices. "I want to make it really clear that what we're doing here is not charity," Smith said. "It's not debt forgiveness. It's a political statement about what we view to be odious debts."
People whose debt is wiped out will get a certified letter in the mail from the Rolling Jubilee. The idea is that they will donate in turn, Smith says. (That's the "rolling" part of the plan.) They will also get a copy of the "Debt Resistors' Operations Manual," a handbook that will send chills down the spine of anyone worried about moral hazard. The book, which is free online, includes choice phrases such as: "We are under no moral obligation to keep our promises to liars and thieves. In fact, we are morally obligated to find a way to stop this system rather than continuing to perpetuate it."
Getting that message out is Occupy's real goal, and it seems to be working, given the amount of coverage the effort has garnered so far. But it's hard to imagine that the country's big debt-buyers are nervous right now, and the banks certainly aren't. No one should skip their Visa payments because they think Occupy might bail them out.
One of the best outcomes of the Rolling Jubilee is still the good old-fashioned charity of it. If the project takes off, and the group's moles buy the right loans, thousands of families will get a break, while Occupy spreads its message.
Like the group's efforts to coordinate relief for victims of Hurricane Sandy, the project is part of a smarter, even softer, approach to anti-capitalist revolution. As far as a movement goes, it beats drum circles.
A year after Occupy Wall Street was removed from Zuccotti Park, offshoots Strike Debt and Occupy Sandy are making waves in debt and hurricane relief.
FORTUNE -- Occupy Wall Street -- the movement of the 99% -- had supposedly petered out this summer. At best, it was regarded as a grassroots hodge podge that forced a national conversation about economic inequality. At worst, it was written off as an angry mob MOREKatie Benner - Nov 14, 2012 9:58 AM ET
Before we start predicting a coming class warfare, keep in mind that Americans may dislike inequality, but they don't all blame the wealthy.
By Nina Easton, senior editor-at-large
FORTUNE -- After the 1987 stock market crash, the New York Times offered up a page-one obituary for a "gilded, impudent age," quoting great minds who predicted the demise of unbridled self-interest in America. Three short years later, when a recession marked the MOREJun 7, 2012 5:00 AM ET
One of the original organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement is ready to declare victory. The question is: 'Over what?'
By David Whitford, editor-at-large
FORTUNE -- Kalle Lasn, the white-haired evangelist of Occupy Wall Street, was on the phone from Vancouver, pressing me in his thick Eastern European accent. "So how do you feel there at Fortune?" he asked before I could begin my interview. "Are you scared? You feel that MORENov 16, 2011 5:00 AM ET
The message from our nation's financial elite is pretty clear: They just don't get it.
By John Cassidy, contributor
FORTUNE -- Just two months after taking over Zuccotti Park in lower Manhattan, Occupy Wall Street has mushroomed into a national movement, with offshoots in cities from Miami to Seattle. With winter coming on and some local police departments moving to clear out the demonstrators, it isn't clear where the protest goes from MORENov 4, 2011 5:00 AM ET
The Texas city not only tolerates the local Occupy movement, it hosts it at City Hall.
By Rob Curran, contributor
FORTUNE – As the Occupy Wall Street movement has spread to cities around the country, a couple of things have become clear: No two Occupy movements are the same, and some of them have almost nothing to do with Wall Street.
While each event is styled after the original in Zuccotti Park and MOREOct 31, 2011 10:49 AM ET
FORTUNE -- Operation Occupy Wall Street, which started with a handful of protesters in New York City's Zuccotti Park on Sept. 17, has spread to scores of cities around the world and attracted hundreds of thousands. While the protesters in the U.S. haven't put forth a clear agenda, their growing numbers suggest that many Americans are unhappy with the economic status quo. --Anne VanderMey
By the numbers:
$300,000: The amount of money estimated MOREOct 27, 2011 5:00 AM ET
Fortune went downtown to chat not with the Occupy Wall Streeters, but with the occupied on Wall Street. Surprisingly, they sympathize.
By Lauren Barack, contributor
FORTUNE -- To the protester, they represent the problem. But you don't have to search long among Wall Street's rank and file to find something unexpected: sympathy for the occupiers of Zuccotti Park.
"There are a lot of folks on Wall Street who are just like the 99 MOREOct 20, 2011 11:37 AM ET
It's not that the rich are getting richer. It's that the rest of America isn't.
By Geoff Colvin, senior editor-at-large
FORTUNE -- The most important fact to realize about the rash of popular protests around the world -- Occupy Wall Street in the U.S., demonstrations in Greece, Spain, London, and elsewhere in Europe, violent uprisings in rural China, even the revolutions of the Arab Spring -- is that they aren't about money or MOREOct 20, 2011 11:36 AM ET
Yes, young people are struggling. But the reality is that the college grads in the 99% have a much better chance of crossing into the 1% than those without a degree.
FORTUNE -- The burden of student loans amid high unemployment is driving part of the protests among the Occupy Wall Street movement. Earlier this month college students were encouraged to join the call through Occupy Colleges, which started as a MORENin-Hai Tseng, Writer - Oct 19, 2011 11:23 AM ET
|America's economic mobility myth|
|Snowden docs had NYTimes exec fearing for his life|
|Where should you put your money now?|
|The economy: The 2014 outlook|
|Treasury closes the book on GM bailout with final stock sale|